It's girls night out at your favorite GNO restaurant.
1. You are with a bunch of your BFF's and when it comes time for dessert, you order one with 6 spoons to share.
2. You are having date night and you split a dessert with your significant
3. Watching your calories, you forgo dessert altogether.
Personally the first 2 scenarios happen a lot because let's face it, just
like most, I like to end my meals with something sweet.
Now it's possible to have your "cake" in this case a fruit crisp or
cobbler, and eat it too with this #pff recipe - which I tweaked a bit - from the
Well Fed cookbook.
Are you ready for this? No Sugar, no Dairy and no Grains! This
peach crisp is everything you expect from a crisp/cobbler - warm, tender, sweet
chunks of fruit - crumbly, nutty, cinnamon-scented topping - the very definition
of a perfect summer dessert.
and you know what - it is perfectly okay!
6 peaches, cut into 1/2 inch dice (about 6 cups)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 3/4 cup almond flour
12 dried organic, no sugar added, pitted dates
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1.4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp coconut oil chilled until solid, then diced
1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. In a medium bowl, mix the peaches, lemon zest and lemon juice with a wooden
spoon. Allow to rest at room temperature while you prepare the topping.
3. Place almond flour, dates, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a food processor.
Pulse until combined. Sprinkle the chilled diced coconut oil over
the flour and pulse about 10 times then process on high for 5-10 seconds until
there are no lumps.
4. Pour the topping into a bowl and use a fork to mix in the slivered
5. For an 8 inch square pan or round pie plate, pour the fruit into the pan,
pressing it gently into place with the back of a wooden spoon. Sprinkle
the almond topping over the fruit and lightly press into the fruit with the back
of a wooden spoon or with your fingers.
6. For individual ramekins, place 6 ramekins on a baking sheet covered with
parchment paper. Spoon generous 3/4 - 1 cup servings of the fruit into
individual ramekins (you may end up with 5 depending on the size of your
ramekins) pressing the fruit into the ramekins with your hands. Place
about 3 Tbsp of topping onto each ramekin, gently press down to cover the fruit
with your fingers.
7. Cover the crisp lightly with foil and bake for 30 min. Remove foil
and bake for another 5-10 min until bubbly and browned.
*Refrigerate any leftovers.
*This is best enjoyed warm and it is even better the second day warmed up
in the microwave for about a min.